University nuhelt'ine tahiyots;i nistameyimakanak Blue Quills offers three programs in nêhiyawêwin. Whether you are looking for a 1-yr Certificate, 2-yr Diploma, or a 3-yr Bachelor of Arts in nêhiyawêwin
, all our courses focus on developing the student’s level of fluency and comprehension in nêhiyawêwin.
In addition to improving oral mastery in nêhiyawêwin, the program’s goals and objectives also include grounding students in the following:
- nêhiyawêwin Grammar
- Second language acquisition methodologies (L.A.M.P., M.A.P., P.W.I.M., A.S.L.A., T.P.R., etc)
- Improved literacy in Standard Roman Orthography and Syllabics
- Community revitalization activities and projects
These goals will be achieved through immersion programming and application of practical and task based learning.
The non-fluent first year students are required to attend 4 days of immersion instruction and assessment will be based on oral proficiency. The fluent first year students program will have a stronger emphasis on understanding of nêhiyawêwin grammar and second language acquisition methodologies.
Second and third year will continue to focus on:
- Improving students level of fluency
- Second and third year level of nêhiyawêwin grammar,
- Continuation of language acquisition methodologies, nêhiyawêwin literacy skills
- Exposure to nêhiyawêwin Guides to Implementation, K-12 Programs of Study and other school mandated nêhiyawêwin curricula
Year, unit and lesson planning
- Practicums, Service learning and community revitalization activities